To Do When DHS Calls Or Visits
There can be nothing more frightening than being accused of child abuse or neglect by a child protective services caseworker from the Department of Human Services. An accusation made against you or your spouse can leave you worrying about:
- Losing custody of your children
- Being excluded from your home
- Facing jail time
- The emotional and mental consequences for your family
- The potential damage to your community or professional reputation
These are all very real consequences, which is why the best advice is to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately.
Mark C. Cogan, P.C., will fiercely defend you and your parental rights. We know how important your family is to you. Call our lawyers in Portland at 503-549-1077.
Don’t Be Fooled By A Friendly Caseworker
If a caseworker visits your home or calls you on the phone, there is only one reason that he or she is there: You or your spouse has been suspected or directly accused of harming your child. No matter how friendly a caseworker may seem, he or she is not your friend.
The DHS will go to great lengths to investigate allegations, whether they were made anonymously or under the strict mandatory reporting laws in Oregon. Tactics include:
- Questioning your children at school without your knowledge or consent
- Baiting you through conversations that seem harmless
- Making you believe that a visit is only routine
- Threatening to put your children in foster care
- Attempting to turn one spouse against the other
Stand Behind Us | We Know How DHS Works
If you or a spouse has been contacted by DHS, do not wait to seek help. Even if no official accusations have been made, we can help make sure that a caseworker does not violate your rights during an investigation. Should the need arise, we will vigorously defend you against any formal charges.
It only takes a few moments to fill out our online form or call our local number at 503-549-1077 or toll free at 888-211-2441. Those few moments could have a significant impact on the outcome of your case.Set up your free initial consultation