Close Menu

Minor in Possession of Alcohol

Under Oregon law, anyone under the age of 21 is prohibited from possessing, consuming or attempting to purchase alcohol. Those who are determined to have violated this law may be cited with minor in possession of alcohol and will be referred to juvenile court. There is a limited exception for children or wards who are allowed to consume alcohol at a private residence in the presence of their parent or legal guardian.

If you or your child has been cited for underage drinking, do not pay the fine! Contact an attorney at Mark C. Cogan, P.C., in Portland. In your free initial consultation we can help you understand your legal options. Call (503) 549-1077.

Although underage drinking or possession of alcohol by a minor is considered only a violation, there are still serious consequences to consider. Minors who receive a citation can face:

  • Fines
  • Community service
  • Alcohol assessment and treatment
  • Educational or career implications

As a minor, behaviors related to the underage consumption of alcohol can also lead to very serious criminal offenses. These include underage drinking and driving or purchasing alcohol with a fake ID.

Furnishing Alcohol To Minors Is Considered A Serious Criminal Offense

Although consuming alcohol as a minor is not considered a serious criminal offense, under Oregon law, giving liquor to an individual under the age of 21 is. You could face serious penalties, including jail time, and asset forfeiture, if you:

  • Allow minor children other than your own to consume alcohol at your home
  • Provide alcohol to your own minor child in a public place
  • Purchase alcohol for a minor

Law enforcement officers and prosecutors do not take social hosting situations lightly, especially if an injury is involved. Maximum penalties are often sought in these cases. It is absolutely vital that you contact a criminal defense lawyer immediately if you have been accused of providing alcohol to a minor.

The prosecution has already begun building its case. We should begin ours.

Do not speak to law enforcement. Instead, contact our Portland juvenile charges law firm immediately at (503) 549-1077 regardless of the time. You can also submit your information online. The sooner you call, the sooner we can begin protecting your rights.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Contact Form Tab

Quick Contact Form